Thursday, March 4, 2010

I'm gonna burn it down

I'm realizing that the more you try to focus on the Lord, the more you see Him everywhere and in everything. God is doing a work in my life, and if you want to hear about it, Reader, don't hesitate to ask.

I've always been a fan of Pink, even her old school stuff (I say unashamed). In her recent hit "Funhouse" (If you've not heard the song, I recommend listening to it on YouTube before proceeding.), she talks about leaving a place that used to be fun but is now just haunting her. It's about a horrible break-up that caused pain and hurt. The song is chock-full of emotion. She's comparing the relationship to something that was so natural and so normal—like a home. And now, she's trying to rid herself of everything that would remind her of that relationship. She's walking around this "empty house," and there are so many memories. She's not exactly sure where to go from there. She knows it's not where she needs to be now, and the whole house house must be torched.

That is exactly what happens when we become Christians. We must get rid of our old selves and become who we are in Christ. As pre-Christians, our "home" is our flesh. But when we come to know the Lord, our "Funhouse" doesn't seem so fun anymore. It just taunts us. The house of our old selves taunts who we are in Christ. We know, the Holy Spirit lets us know, our keys don't fit that life anymore. And it has to be burned.

This is typically something that takes a lifetime to do. Just when we think we've purged ourselves of our flesh, the day ends, we go to sleep, and we wake up. Our Spirit is in constant battle with our flesh. Every moment of every day, our Spirit is fighting for us. The Holy Spirit is urging us to keep moving forward, to continue fighting, to remain in tune with the Lord.

Our walk with the Lord is about refining who we are in Him for His glory to build His Kingdom.

So, Reader, I say, join me in torching our old homes. Let's trust the Holy Spirit to continue moving us in the right direction. Face it, the keys to that old house are worthless in comparison with the keys to the Kingdom of God.

"Funhouse" by Pink
I dance around this empty house
Tear us down, throw you out
Screaming down the halls
Spinning all around and now we fall

Pictures framing up the past
Your taunting smirk behind the glass
This museum full of ash
Once a tickle, now a rash

This used to be a Funhouse
But now it's full of evil clowns
It's time to start the countdown
I'm gonna burn it down, down, down
I'm gonna burn it down

9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, fun

Echoes knocking on the doors
All the laughter from before
I'd rather live out on the streets
Than in this haunted memory

I've called the movers called the maids
We'll try to exorcise this place
Drag my mattress to the yard
Crumb, tumble house of cards

This used to be a Funhouse
But now it's full of evil clowns
It's time to start the countdown
I'm gonna burn it down, down, down
I'm gonna burn it down

9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, fun

I'm crawling through the doggy door
My keys don't fit my life no more
I'll change the drapes, I'll break the plates
I'll find a new place, burn this fucker down

This used to be a Funhouse
But now it's full of evil clowns
It's time to start the countdown
I'm gonna burn it down, down, down
I'm gonna burn it down

2 comments:

Niko Vasiloff said...

I am amazed by your writing, Emilee. There is such depth and raw emotion in your words; and I am in awe of how creative and insightful you are. Seriously.

This was definitely one of the most interesting things I've ever read. I love how Kingdom-minded you are, and I never saw that song that way (maybe I never really knew the words). But I'd hear that song and loved it. And now I will hear so much more in the lyrics when I listen to it again.

That analogy is dead on. So vivid. Burning down this old house. It's hauntings. Wow. The keys don't fit my life anymore...

Emilee Shake said...

Thanks, Niko. I appreciate your comments. Truly.