Tuesday, March 30, 2010

In my dreams; En mis sueños; Dans mes rêves

Recently, I've had two dreams in which I communicated easily and effectively in other languages.

I've had friends who've dreamt in other languages, but all of those friends actually speak other languages. Me, I don't. Not because of a lack of opportunity. Unfortunately, when I had the opportunity and was enrolled in Spanish courses in college or French classes in high school, I studied only enough to get by, not to learn the language.

The strange part about the dreams is that I have no clue what I was saying. In both dreams I was with people I knew, friends in those countries — Mexico and France. So there I was, just hanging out, laughing and being friends, completely engaging in the conversation. I remember hearing myself say words clearly and without hesitation. I was untroubled by fact I didn't know what I was saying.

I wish learning a language was that easy (I say as I'm sitting on my bed surrounded by my Spanish/English dictionary, picture dictionary and "Daily Spanish for Dummies"). But the dreams encouraged me that perhaps one day I will be able to communicate effectively in another language. Though I'm not holding my breath I'll be able to do it with as much ease as I dreamt.

3 comments:

Niko Vasiloff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Niko Vasiloff said...

Σκέφτομαι ότι πολύ ενδιαφέρον εσείς είχε τα όνειρα σε μια ξένη γλώσσα. Δεν έχω ακούσει για ποτέ κάποιο που wasn' δίγλωσσος τ ήδη για να έχει ένα όνειρο σε εκείνη την δεύτερη γλώσσα. Ίσως ο Θεός πρόκειται να συνεχίσει να σας χρησιμοποιεί σε ένα πολιτιστικό πλαίσιο, και θέλει να σας ενθαρρύνει για να προσπαθήσει να συνεχίσει λίγο. Παραμονή με το. " Πηγαίνετε σε ΟΛΟ τον κόσμο… "
---------------------------------
Pienso que es muy interesante que tenias suenos en una lengua extranjera. Yo nunca he oido de una persona que ya no fue bilingual de tener un sueno en esa segunda lengua. Quiza Dios va a usarte en un contexto transcultural, y quiere que continues aprendiendo un poco. Mantengalo. "Va en TODO el mundo..."
---------------------------------
I think that it very interesting you had dreams in a foreign language. I have never heard of someone who wasn't already bilingual to have a dream in that second language. Maybe God is going to continue to use you in a cross-cultural context, and wants to encourage you to try to continue learning a little. Stay with it. "Go into ALL the world..."

Anonymous said...

maybe you were speaking in tongues in your dream and didn't know it?